Caterpillar Distributed Heating System Design
Caterpillar Mining and Construction Equipment Division
Scope of Work:
Replace central coal fired steam heating plant with distributed heating systems.
• Engineering study to determine scope and budget for a new distributed heating system including payback and life cycle analysis.
• Cogeneration and compressed air study.
• 1,800,000-square-foot manufacturing facility.
• Converted multiple use wash and paint system makeup air units from steam to direct fired gas.
• Converted hot water and chemical cleaning systems to natural gas heating.
• 16 built up 1,200,000 cfm air handling units converted from steam to direct fired natural gas.
• Converted paint booth system and hot water systems for process cleaning use to natural gas.
• Developed control systems to interface with existing building management system.